Skip to main content

Home > Knowledge Base > Shipping > Do I need an export license to ship my bulletproof car?

Do I need an export license to ship my bulletproof car?

No and Yes.

See our export guidelines here.

Why an Export Compliance Program?

For reasons of national security, the United States Government has asked exporters to provide the following information about their exports:

WHAT is the product?
WHERE in the product going for its final destination?
WHO is the end-user of the final product?
WHY is the product being used for, or for what reason?

IAC exports a variety of products ranging from NIJ Level III (National Institute of Justice standard 0108.01, September 1985) armored passenger vehicles to armoring kits and general automotive parts. The following table should be taken as a general “rule of thumb” but is not a comprehensive list. If in doubt, ASK QUESTIONS and consult the BIS and the Export Compliance Officer.

IAC Products License Required
Armoring kits. NO
Armored vehicles produced outside of the United States. NO
Armored vehicles sold to US domestic end-users. NO
Armored vehicles with weaponry modifications. YES
Armormax® panels. NO
Automotive parts. NO
Laminated ballistic glass. NO
Ballistic steel (AR500). NO
Low to mid-level armored passenger vehicles (NIJ Level III-A) Maybe*
Armored passenger vehicles to Level NIJ III and higher. YES


Author profile image

We love answering your questions and helping you get the best protection possible. For immediate questions and if you want to speak with an expert, please call 1-801-393-1075.

World leader in the manufacturing and design of armored passenger vehicles